Saturday, May 8, 2010

"You Won't Understand Until You're a Mom"

I understood this phrase, my mother often used to say to us as kids, as soon as I found out I was pregnant for the first time. You don't understand what you will do for your child until faced with making split second decisions that involve selflessness and unconditional love and are even sometimes difficult to make, but you know they are for the betterment of your children. Being a 'mom' for only 5 years now, I'm still young and learning, but I do understand what my mom was saying all those years and I appreciate her even more.

When our children were a mere kidney bean in my stomach, I made decisions affecting them. And at the time, all they felt like was some alien invasion. I chose to take good care of my body; by what I ate, taking naps and sleeping when needed, taking prescribed vitamins, minimizing stress in my life and visiting the doctor for routine visits to check on their progress.

Once they arrived, my world as I knew it changed forever. I became a mom. Little persons depended on me. My life was no more about my schedule. These little beings threw me off completely with their need to be nurtured and cared for 24/7. Thank goodness it came naturally and selflessly. Nobody gives you a life lesson about caring for children and although it took adjusting for me after being independent and carefree for a good 10 years of my life, having children has taught me much about my own self and what I still have to learn about life.

I could write a book on 'the unexpected' in childcare and parenting and 'what others before me never told me' about having children. Most days you would not believe some of the occurrences that happen here, but as I type them as a Facebook update, explain them to my husband or other family members, they make me smile and laugh, feel important as a person and know that only a mom could understand.

I've had a wonderful Mother's Day. Slow moving morning with hugs, kisses and a few presents followed by a wonderful brunch shared with family. My favorite moments today were the hugs and "I love you mommy' from each child in abundance. They do and say those things every day, but today is just a day to reflect and soak it up and appreciate the mother child bond with each of them.

My mom offered to take child 3 with her for the rest of the day (insert 'woohoo' here), so I get some mommy child 1 and child 2 alone time. We are going for a drive, taking some photos and doing some exploring. And possibly some ice cream and/or a coffee run for mommy!

Wonderful wishes to all of the other moms out there! Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment