Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday Driver Stops for Horses in the Country

(I have a few things to learn about photo placement, but I was so excited to just get them on here, bear with me!)

Yep, I joined that over 65 crowd today. You know who I'm talking about. They take those leisurely drives out in the country and it's always a no passing zone, for about the next 17 miles.

Actually, I try to get out and go driving every weekend, when I can get away for a few hours. I make sure I have good music so I can practice my rock star singing voice. I crack all the windows and open the sun roof to ensure a breeze is blowing my hair all over. It makes me feel like a wild woman on a mission when I really have no mission at all. I make sure I have an icy beverage to quench the singing-voice-thirsties when needed. And I make a conscious effort to not irk people off by going 30 mph. I do pull off the side of the road to snap photos when they present themselves, but I use my signals and hazard lights.

So, I finally learned how to load photos to this blog and I'm so excited to incorporate some of the ones I took today. Yes, it took me an entire week to see that little link that loads the photos so effortlessly for me. Call me an blog virgin, but I'm trying.

I found myself at this horse farm. I didn't actually go up this family's driveway, knock on the door and ask to take photos. I just hung out on the road in front of their fence, like some spying mom with a camera in a mini-van. I do this often and the more I do it, it becomes less of a bother to my sub-conscious telling me this might be quite strange to passers-by.

I tell myself I don't like horses, but I do think they are beautiful animals. When I was a Girl Scout, we rent riding as a troop. I believe this was to get a badge of some sort and I probably never received mine. I was not comfortable on the horse I was given to ride. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that it was 4 times as tall as me and could crush my skull with one hoof. The horse felt my insecurity and decided to revolt against me. He (or it could have been a she..not sure) took off. This horse had no intention of stopping and I rode that horse in fear for my life for what seemed like miles. Luckily, one of the horse wranglers (Is that what they are called? I think the jeans brand may be throwing me off here ) came up and got the horse to heed. I have not been on a horse since. But, I continue to enjoy their beauty from at least 5 feet.

I've dubbed this horse 'Blondie.' I confirmed she was actually a 'she' because as I was pulling further down the road she was a bit exposed, I believe her male counterpart was planning his attack. Further on down the fence..more horses and the next two were most definitely in love.





The rest of my journey involved a creek or crick, depending on the hillbilly in you, a cow that wouldn't give me a smile even with all the nice conversational attempts I was yelling out my window at him/her, railroad tracks that reminded me of the Rob Reiner movie Stand By Me, and a gorgeous sky that said 'thank you for seizing this afternoon' on my way home.



2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I especially like Blondie and the train tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes! What a wonderful story...

    ReplyDelete