Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday I'm in Love

It's Friday and I'm listening to this Direct TV station I just discovered called Flashback/New Wave, Channel 839. It's 80s and 90s alternative and I enjoy having it on in our family room when I'm relaxing on the weekends. The Cure was just on with 'Friday I'm in Love.' The lyrics pretty much have summed up my weekdays and Fridays since childhood. The only line I never liked was 'thursdays i don't care about you.' That line sucked.

"I don't care if monday's blue
tuesday's grey and wednesday too
thursday i don't care about you
it's friday I'm in love"


As a kid, the weekdays were filled with school, both of my parents working, but when Friday night hit, we'd do something as a family. We rarely stayed in on Fridays, even if the outing was just to go for a drive to get us out of the house. We'd also go to dinner, a concert in the park, drive-ins when they were still around, or over to friends and relatives. I don't remember it ever costing a lot, but now that I'm a parent, I'm sure they had to budget for those Fridays. I appreciate so much more about my parents after understanding what one salary affords. I have wonderful memories of going to a pub type restaurant, or out for pizza, being able to order whatever we wanted and get soda. Getting soda was a real treat because we did not get it at home. We grew up drinking Nestea, Tang and Kool-aid. And there was always tap water. But getting a bottle of Pepsi or Coke made us feel special and all grown up. We hung out as a family having good conversation and just spending time together. As we got older, we got to invite friends along and they got to spend the night.

As a teenager, Fridays meant footballs games in the fall and going out with friends. We'd meet up for a movie or go cruising down Main Street in Peoria. We'd drive slowly down the street, sometimes coming to a stop, waving and screaming at other kids. We'd usually end up at Lum's or a late night diner and take up tables so we'd have a place to sit and talk until we had to leave to make curfews.

In college, Friday's usually meant work, whether it be homework or one of the four jobs I kept. But occasionally, I'd have one Friday off and when I did, they were that much sweeter. The Saturday mornings that followed, not so much. I learned to appreciate those Fridays and any time I had free. I had to work so hard to get that free time and the money I'd spend while enjoying it.

Tonight, after a long day with the kids (stayed home this morning and got caught up on some day-to-day, ran to Peoria this afternoon for a few things = long day), I decided we'd stay in tonight. Every Friday...and I mean EVERY Friday, I look forward to my husband coming home. And not just for the help with the kids, but I miss him. I was prepping dinner when he got home and he was just in time to see how muddy the kids had gotten. I let them play outside in rain boots as it poured. They were a mess, but they had so much fun. Spring showers, rain boots, puddles on the back porch, mud and Dreamsicles..which I even gave them before dinner to their surprise. We had them strip down in the laundry room and he gave them baths. We all made dinner together and ate as a family with no rushing off or hurriedness to our meal. The kids goofed off and complained about the green stuff on their plates, while my husband and I talked about our plans for this weekend. It was good family time. Just like I remembered having as a child.

It doesn't matter how hectic the week is... if the kids and I have some long days... if my husband and I have an argument and barely get to see each other throughout our day... how crazy our family and friends lives are that week... we live for that Friday time. This time brings us back together and replenishes us for the week ahead.

As I'm finishing this up, it's quiet now. Peaceful. Calm. The kids are all in bed and my husband is upstairs listening to the kids talk about their day. Friday I'm in Love...all over again.

1 comment:

  1. There is something about Friday nights...there is the hope for a long relaxing weekend. I am glad you take the time to remember your past Friday nights and appreciate the current ones.

    ReplyDelete