Sunday, August 29, 2010

A $4 Date!

Well actually, I went by myself, so I only spent $2, but the time alone was much needed and the view, breathtaking and spectacular!

If you've never been to Tower Park in Peoria Heights, IL, put it on the to-do list! I have lived in this area for almost 39 years off and on and this was the first time I'd ever gone up in the tower. I want to say it was erected in 1970 (sign at the bottom as you get off the elevator) but I'd need to check that again. And there was a restorative overhaul in 2002 (also need to check again but found that on wiki).

If you are not into glass elevators that move at a snail's pace, this might not be the date for you. However, if you want to take your sweetie up (or a friend, family member..not sure if pets are allowed, doubtful), it is serene, peaceful and quiet except for the open air wind and romantic as the top of the Eiffel Tower, or so I imagine for this town of Peoria. I have not actually been to the top of the Eiffel Tower, but a place is what you make it and I made the most of it! I was at the top of the tower for over a half hour today snapping photographs and admiring the views. And the breezy wind up there was fantastic as todays temps were low 90s. The elevator actually stops 2 floors below the actual top of the tower. You climb to the top deck, which is totally open air, with a spiral staircase.


I'm not sure if there is a time limit up there (doubt it) and you'd have to check the hours they are open, but if someone needed an awesome date idea, I would suggest packing a small picnic bag with a blanket, a non-alcholic bottle of bubbly and 2 toasting glasses, grab lunch from a local venue and then undoing the date's blindfold, somewhere about 10 seconds after you hit the PH button on the elevator going to the top of the tower. Yeah..I thought it was pretty funny they had a PH button. I kept thinking..'woohoo'..I've never been in a Penthouse suite!

I'm really into finding treasures in this area. This isn't overly advertised, and it is definitely a place worth seeing from the top! And be sure to check out the woodpecker on the southwest side...but don't lean over the edge too far!

6 comments:

  1. A $3 date I could go for....$4? A bit much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have taken my boys up there and have some similar photos. We coupled it with a hike starting at the top of Grandview Drive (right down the street). Finish it off with an ice cream treat at Emack and Bolio's in the Heights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I want to make my date walk up the whole thing can I save the $2?

    Will they allow you to just climb the stairs the whole way for free? I have been thinking about this as a hiking/training option, but have never bothered to go there and inquire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are certainly ambitious. You might be able to convince Amy Kennard to go with you on this stair running excursion. She was looking for steps a while back.

    I'd be dead after 3 floors, plus it's spiral! That itself should make you ill. I'm not sure if they'd let you do the steps or not. The older woman that took my money was concerned about me riding the elevator alone. I was wondering what was lurking up at the top. Obviously, I didn't meet my demise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool pics! I've been meaning to check out that tower for the longest time now but can never find the right time to go. I'll have to take you up on that challenge.

    ReplyDelete