Thursday, April 29, 2010

I was never a homecoming queen.

But I'm hoping to get back to Daydream Believer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQNqk54HPdE

"...Oh, and our good times start and end
Without dollar one to spend.
But how much, baby, do we really need."

We are very fortunate to have an abundance of 'stuff.' It can be a curse (end of day...house looks like a tornado). But 'stuff' is exactly what it is. I get to unpack stuff today (we recently moved). This 'stuff' makes our kids very happy and entertained for a while. I had such fun as a child (without stuff) running the woods, playing in mud, riding my bike and hardly ever watching tv or needing to be entertained. As a mom, I do find it difficult to understand why our kids can not possibly be content on their own. I know why they have a hard time, but trying to have a conversation with a 5 year old about being imaginative and creative is quite difficult. Because we (yes, I will put myself in that guilty category and leave the other names out) did this to them. We inundated them with 'stuff' since they were babies. As they get older, one believes they will start thinking more on their own..using their imagination. However, if we've only ever handed them 'stuff' and never let them fuel their own imagination, can they daydream? I wonder.

I know they can get really dirty in a pile of mud. I believe there is hope.

I'd love to take a family vacation to 'Nowhere.' Nowhere has the essentials...food, running water with shower/tub and toilet, and beds. Ok, those are my essentials, but I'm not a big camping girl. I can do it. Not a huge fan of bugs and being smelly. Back to nowhere... Nowhere has no television or electronic devices. Nowhere doesn't cost more than the bare essentials explained above (room and board). Nowhere would be primarily an outdoor experience (reliving my childhood through the eyes of our kids?). One would have to be creative to enjoy the Nowhere experience. Just the drive to Nowhere could be fun. I need to start researching Nowhere. Of course, that will require the use of my laptop.

Will 'I' be able to survive Nowhere without 'stuff?' Very good question.

(note to self...learn how to embed youtube videos)

1 comment:

  1. You can survive Nowhere. It becomes a bit addictive, too. You might not enjoy tent camping but pop up camping is a lot more fun. We started out with tents then moved up to a Pop Up and kept taking those trips out to the middle of Nowhere. They are definitely the best memories I have of our family.

    ReplyDelete