Thursday, October 27, 2011

It's Not Thanksgiving Yet, But I Got a Bun in the Oven

I'll call this my 'catch-you-up' blog because I've been 'busy.' Time flies. Yes, my summer was fun. And it definitely was a busy one. We'll blame that for my lack of blogging. The first of June started swim lessons for all three kids. I think I paid a fortune for them to relearn what they learned last summer. They enjoyed it, and they do believe they can swim (all 3 resemble a cat being thrown in), but all three will still not stick their heads under water when doing any stroke. We've decided a lake, some life jackets and a few tosses off a boat might be a better and cheaper alternative. This is how my husband and I both learned.

We had out of town family staying with us the beginning of July and enjoyed a wonderful fireworks celebration with extended family at our house. In that same time period, we buried my father's ashes and it was well past the appropriate time considering he'll have passed 3 years ago last week. He was probably getting tired of sitting on a dresser, in a box.

Then mid July arrived and because I promised my husband that as soon as our 3 kids were all potty-trained we'd go camping, I had to bite the bullet and give in this summer. I have to admit, I was a bit excited about this trip because it's the first vacation our family has taken together which has been longer than a weekend trip. It was a 10 day trip out west. We drove the entire trip and miraculously all survived. We saw some of the most beautiful sites and had some really excellent family time together. It was thrilling to experience those places for myself for the first time, but to see our kids reactions to them was even more amazing. It was a great family vacation and despite some really cold nights camping, I'd do it again. One condition...the bathroom would once again have to be located 30 feet from our tent and have running water and a heater. I totally lucked out on the camping slot my husband reserved! And luckily, only 3 of the 9 nights were spent sleeping in a tent with freezing temperatures.

Then August came and we started preparations for school. I couldn't wait to finally get all 3 in school full time. I was weighing my options in regards to returning to work. I spent some time digging out my resume, which hadn't seen the light of day for almost 7 years. I was trying to figure out how to creatively add that for the past 7 years, I was a stay at home mom. I carried babies in-utero for 18 months of those years. I breast fed, changed diapers, potty trained, played dollies and choo-choo and tea party and made tents in the living room. How does one make that sound constructive on a resume? I was also dealing with the idea that I wasn't ready to give up being such a large part of my kids lives. If I went back to work, I wouldn't be able to take them to all of their activities. I wouldn't be making healthy meals and snacks and making sure they got enough sleep, and that they were washing their hands while singing the alphabet twice. If I went back to work full-time, I'd have to pay for before and after care at two schools. If I worked part-time, I'd have to really negotiate hours between 9 AM and 2 PM so I could get our children off to school and also be home when they arrived. All of these things were weighing on me. I thought about just renewing my substitute teaching certificate and working just a few days a week. I'd have to employ a sitter or beg my mom to be home when the kids arrived home. None of the scheduling seemed easy, but I was ready and adamant about my return to work.

So, a few days before school started, I decided to take the kids on a run to the mall for some last minute school clothes. The new socks, undies and blue jeans they'd blow out of in 2 months time. I hadn't been feeling all that spectacular for the past week, under the weather. And for some reason on the ride to the mall, with all 3 kids in tow, I realized I was 2 days late. I wasn't freaking yet. I thought back to the month before. We were on vacation. I had the monthly visitor, but it was a light one and I chalked it up to dehydration in Yellowstone. But two days late is something I wasn't going to dismiss. Made a quick stop at the Walgreen's with all 3 kids because you can't just leave them in the van because DCFS is always watching. Get the goods and head back to the van and off to the mall. Must pee. Headed to the JCPenney bathroom with all 3 kids and my 2 pee stick tests. Asked all three kids to hold the wall up outside the bathroom so they wouldn't be wandering and peeking under the doors. I hung my purse over the door so they weren't trying to investigate my business. Peed. Waited. And sure enough.

So, with my 40th birthday approaching at the end of this year, I am getting one hell of a present, and he/she will be arriving right along with the Easter Bunny. This was totally not planned and we 'were done.' But 'someone' never did his part in making it final. So, along with the birth of our 4th child, I will be taking care of that business too. We should know the sex before my birthday. And because we've gotten rid of every last baby item except for a convertible toddler crib, a cheap training potty and one probably outdated car seat, there has been chatter amongst family and friends about a shower. I'm thinking I should just combine my 40th birthday and a shower. I may not have any energy in my third trimester for celebrations. I certainly don't seem to have any now. I'm passing out at 8:30 PM in our recliner, waking up at 11 PM and then having to watch late night tv just to fall asleep again. And, then I get up to pee every 2 hours, like clockwork, whether I drink anything or not.

I forgot what it was like to go to the OB/Gyn for the routine pregnancy check-ups. I can't believe our youngest will be 5. See my previous blog on all the things no one tells you before you have kids..and all the things you forget until you are abruptly reminded once you start going back on a monthly basis. My first sono was an internal with the 'magic wand'...that right there was a nice awakening to what's in store for me over the next several months.

If I haven't said it yet, I'm excited. I feel confident about this pregnancy. We've got three kids in school full-time and they are all pretty self-sufficient and I can pat myself on the back for that. Bring on #4! And I'm taking names and numbers for those wanting diaper duty and anyone wanting to come wash a few loads of laundry..or perhaps whip up dinner and do the dishes..?

Next blog: Wishful Thinking.


  1. There will be a shower and I will happily come over for diaper duty...I would bring dinner but I am not sure you would like it.

  2. God sure has a plan for you! I know several 40+ moms who have gotten "surprises" long after they thought they were "done" (my youngest brother was conceived after my Dad's surprise 40th birthday party). I think there's a certain confidence that comes with age and motherhood experience. This is the one that hopefully you can have fun with and truly enjoy. And of course the other kids will help. I wish you a healthy, happy pregnancy!